I recently lost what I thought was a close friend. We talked everyday, knew the details of each others lives and could read each other relatively well. I thought this person was great. I thought they were the support that I needed. But the rose colored glasses have become extremely transparent. And the following statement couldn't be more true. People will tell you who they are. You just have to pay attention. I do want to make it clear I have no ill will towards this person. They are fighting their own demons and will win their war in time.
The valuable lesson for me is to listen up, and words really are just that. People say things all the time but if their actions don't follow, then that's all they are. I usually assume the best of someone and I know that I am the person that will do what I say even if it kills me.
I tell friends and clients to guard themselves against the users and takers in our lives. Not to reject them, help when help is needed but don't enable or be used. I need to take my own advice.
Upon my friends mysterious disappearance, I realize that they were never there, like I had thought. That whenever I had a problem or pointed out that my feelings had been hurt, they would retreat into themselves and appear later either saying that they were over whelmed and had needed to recharge their battery or even worse would appear back on the scene like nothing had happened. And I would fall for it: let me help you, little injured bird, my scrapes are nothing. Or not wanting to stir the pot I would forget my feelings.
The moral of my story is this, pay attention to those in your life. We all have those people like this. Cut them lose. You are worth more, and deserve better than. People treat us the way we allow them too. Lets remember our worth, and rise above it.

No comments:
Post a Comment