Monday, October 5, 2015

Lake Tahoe World Championship Spartan(s)

Cra-zy-ness!!! Heat one weekend and cold the next!
Saturday Beast Mode
A little over 15 miles
4,000 ft elevation climb
40 obstacles beyond the steep mountain climbs
including
-1 frigged swim
-1 pit of despair 
-1 crazy long bucket carry
-1 super steep sand bag carry
For some reason hearing that this was supposedly the hardest race in spartan history didn't scare me to much after completing Temecula. I was ready and feeling somewhat confident. I trained, hydrated and fueled correctly... to the best of my abilities and was ready to bring it. I feel like we kept a nice pace, stopped for pictures and fueling. I did the Hercules hoist all by myself! No crazy stops until after the swim... THE SWIM!!! Not wanting to miss out of the full experience I thought why not go for the swim, sure it was already cold and windy but how bad could it really be? Not bad I thought. It went pretty quickly, I did the frog move and fought with my life jacket from strangling me, it was cold but nothing unbearable. I had a dry shirt and emergency blanket when I was done.  Feeling cold but knowing I would warm up when we got moving, we started running, the next two obstacles were cold and a little too soon to really get the blood moving. When we got to what I would refer to as the "real" pit of despair, LOW barbwire crawl, wall, barb wire, barb wire, higher wall, barbwire, dunk wall, slick wall, barb wire, wall barb wire, rope climb... no joke. Problem was I was wet and the wind didn't stop. Not to be dramatic but, I can't remember ever being so cold in my whole life. Every muscle would tense up and I couldn't stop shaking. I tried every mind trick I could to get my mind around the fact that yes I was this cold but I needed to move in order to get warmer. It wasn't until a volunteer said I had 5-10 mins or he would have me taken off the course. We were over 9 miles in- This course would bend me but I would no brake, and I wasn't going to let that happen! Some how I got moving and made it through- I skipped the dunk wall for 30 burpees- and we proceeded down the mountain- around mile 10ish I got some of the spark back and was ready to be done. After the crazy bucket carry ( we had been warned by the designer of the course) we were able to kick it in gear and get off the mountain. I was disappointed that there was no fire jump, after a race like that there should be an epic finish. But we finished and it felt great- hardest spartan course and we just killed it!










Sunday Sprint
4 & 1/2 miles
14 obstacles 
How bad could it be?
Woke up feeling rough... tired...and wondering what in the world I was thinking signing up for two races in one weekend... and on top of that it rained and was in the 50's. 
Got to the race and I kept telling myself that this would take as long as I would let it. We set a two hour goal and joked about an hour and a half goal. We knew the course and they had mercifully cut off the majority of the hard obstacles and climbs.
Making it to the first water station was the hardest, until I realized we were already almost half was done. Kicking it in gear we were able to do the race in an hour and a half! I was able to get over the highest wall (10ft) and I didn't cheat! I killed the bucket carry and we ran to the finish line after my little hiccup at the small pit of despair. Awesome way to end my spartan season.

Double Trifecta 2015 DONE






No comments:

Post a Comment